10/20/08

on the verge

i just voted for the next president of the united states, and so proud am i, that i photocopied the filled-in ballot, for the sake of my own remembering especially as i watch--from somewhere--him take the oath of office a few months from now.

though a government/political science major in college, after the presidential elections of 2004, i was so disappointed, so saddened (again) by the outcome that i thought i might never again participate in that farce of a system--blasphemous, perhaps. but with time, it all changes. and in this year of change, transformation really, my hope is renewed that justice will be served this time around.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

What a coincidence! I am filling in my mail-in ballot. Perhaps I'll make a copy of mine too so that in the future I can look back and remember that I was a part of all of this. And I do love Colin Powell's term, "transformational". I believe it is the perfect adjective for Senator Obama. I am very happy today.

iyan and egusi soup: said...

lisa, i live for these moments of synchronicity! i put my ballot in the mailbox, and then wrote this post. yes, make a copy so that you remember your part in this! :)

AlooFar said...

Ha! It's been a long time.
Sincerely, I've been searching for your blog. I thought your blog was in my feed. Unfortunately, no.

Anyway, how is the writing going?

eebi'pami. mofe je iyan ati egusi o! ;)

iyan and egusi soup: said...

aloofar! well, i hope you have me in your feed now. writing is going well: one day at a time. thanks for asking.

i myself wish someone would cook me some iyan and egusi. if only. ;)

jenn said...

You voted! Yay!!!! Just can't wait to be able to say President Obama!

Carleen Brice said...

I voted Monday too! So exciting!!!!! I wish Obama could sit back and take a break and just breathe for a minute now, cause he's got a lot of work looking at him come next year. But I know he's up to the challenge.

iyan and egusi soup: said...

jenn,
i'm looking forward to this too!

carleen :)
i understand the sentiment. if it's been this exhausting on our end, i can only imagine how it's been for him. i, too, think he's up for the challenge. the way he's run his campaign over the last two years says much about his leadership potential.

Tinu said...

It's lovely that you've voted.

I would now like some Egusi please. :)

Cyber Chapina said...

While I wish you were still voting from florida (they need all the help they can get!) I'm excited for you that you are voting with renewed hope and from the lovely san francisco! Hope all is well with you friend. Maya