1/5/08

presence

'wherever you go, there you are.' (source unknown)

lately, i've come upon this quote, in various forms. it is sometimes written in the first person: 'wherever i go, there i am.' it is unclear who first wrote these words; it has been attributed to a screen writer, a political writer, the bible, and is even the title of this book. i am drawn to it, though i am not yet sure why. i imagine few things frighten humans more than the thought that it is too late to do what we want, or be who we might. this quote reminds me that timing has a kind of divinity; that no matter where we find ourselves, we are where we are to be, now.

8 comments:

Sherry said...

I love this quote as well...I had no idea the origin was attritubted to so many. Another one of life's "truths".

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

That quote is just so true, so valid. It is my first time encountering it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing it and happy new year.

iyan and egusi soup: said...

solomon,

thank you for coming by! i'm glad the quote resonates with you in some way. a very happy new year to you too.

Ello said...

I love this quote and I love your interpretation of it. I will have to remember it.

Lisa said...

You've given me another meditation. So much of our focus is external, yet wherever I go, here I am. There is a balance between how we see and interact with the world and how we see and interact with ourselves and it's so very easy for me to ignore that interaction with myself. But here I am. :)

iyan and egusi soup: said...

lisa, i love what you've said about the in/out dynamics of perception.

Carleen Brice said...

To me, this quote is about the difference between change/growth and escape. Trying to run away from our problems doesn't work, but we can grow and change and address them.

iyan and egusi soup: said...

carleen, your interpretation of this rings quite true.