12/15/07

looking forward

carleen brice of the pajama gardener has tagged me for a meme that requires i post the first line of the first post of each month of 2007 (i began blogging in april and was on hiatus the entire month of october). i quite like this meme, as it reminds me where i've been so far:

april: at this moment: a feeling of great optimism about my work, the possibilities of it, and really, the possibilities of community.
may: this early morning, an acquaintance needed my help, and so i was in her company.
june: old things die, new things grow.
july: i've had quite a week at the voices of our nations arts foundation (vona) summer writing workshop (university of san francisco).
august: so long a letter by mariama ba has long been a treasure of african fiction writing, and women's fiction writing.
semptember: at certain times, a dear loved one says to me, "you'll feel much better in the morning."
november: a recent conversation with a friend reminds me of the fallacy of 'all or nothing thinking,' not only as relates to the things we want and our ability to obtain them, but also in our assuming that a person must be either one thing or another.
december: i am thinking: if in this moment, we are able to seize that thing that brings us peace, makes us feel such joy, it no longer matters what happened yesterday, or might happen tomorrow.

tagged: eudaemonia; ello; urban conjure woman.

5 comments:

Carleen Brice said...

"Old things die. New things grow." You're such a beautiful writer!

Lisa said...

I am so looking forward to the chance to read your fiction. You've given me so much this year and I small at the entry about So Long a Letter -- a book that I learned of from you and will always treasure. It was a good year, wasn't it?

iyan and egusi soup: said...

carleen, thanks. i'm just grateful for the opportunity to express myself.

lisa, yes...it has been a good year. full of lessons, and good for that very reason.

Ello said...

Very interesting meme! Mine won't be long since I haven't blogged too long, but very interesting! I love your June quote.

iyan and egusi soup: said...

that's right ello--i now remember that. i know you'll still find a way to make it interesting.