7/13/07

piece by piece

the state of our physical environment is often a reflection of our internal state. filling our physical space with unnecessary things, indicates we are unclear on which way to go. as our mind is cluttered, so are our surroundings.

although i've long practiced minimalism in my home, my computer space--online and offline--has been overfull, and quite disorganized. so, some months ago, i began the reorganization process, with my e-mails: i deleted messages as far back as five years, and created streamlined folders for those i decided to keep. releasing old messages--the people and ideas they represented--allows me to make room for my current trajectory. last evening, i rearranged all of my writing documents in a way that supports my present intentions.

this morning, i have greater clarity.


4 comments:

loomnie said...

Hi, I guess that is what I need to do. My head has been reflecting the state of my desk lately.... Thanks for sharing.

iyan and egusi soup said...

hi loomnie,

perhaps so. i'm still amazed at how much better i feel when the space around me is organized.

Jamey said...

i just deleted over 3,500 e-mails! i'm a recovering packrat. living in 550 sq. feet keeps me honest...

iyan and egusi soup said...

jamey,

i can imagine you feel lighter on a few levels. e-mail messages are the hardest for me to let go; i try to remember that once i've read them, they've served their purpose, and i can let them go.